Thursday, March 13, 2008

The State of English in the Philippines

While Leo San Miguel was busy "surprising" people in the Senate, another San Miguel was making waves at the recent Binibining Pilipinas beauty pageant. Watch this video:



Now I have attended many small, barangay-level beauty pageants in my lifetime and I even had the honor of "judging" quite a few of these contests in Iloilo so I am no stranger to the "pang-beauty pageant english" of Miss San Miguel. It happens most of the time in the provinces and people always get a kick out of it. I can never understand why beauty contestants insist on answering questions in English when it is so plain to see that they are hard put to compose even one intelligible sentence in English. Janina San Miguel would have been better off if she spoke Tagalog. Instead she made a fool of herself and is the laughing stock of the country. I would have found her "english" cute and amusing if it was the "Search for Miss Lambunao" but this is the Binibining Pilipinas - supposedly the most prestigious beauty contest in the country. Winners will be representing our country abroad.

And the irony of it all was that the judges saw fit to make her win - as Bb. Pilipinas-World! I don't know what they were thinking!

No comments: