Monday, February 19, 2007

Boom Tarat Tarat Mania

Campaign jingles can make or break a candidate, most especially in the Philippine senatorial race where name recall is the name of the game. A catchy campaign jingle can attract peoples' attention and help them remember your name come election day. Also, lively jingles can help boost the morale of your campaign troops and bring about a "fiesta" atmosphere during political rallies and out-of-town sorties.

During the last 2004 elections, Mar Roxas' Mr. Suave jingle no doubt contributed to making him no. 1. And he was not alone in capitalizing on that blockbuster novelty song at that time - countless other politicians running for local positions used Mr. Suave as their campaign jingle.

Now, candidates are falling over themselves to buy the rights to "Boom Tarat Tarat," the novelty song composed by Lito Camo and popularized by the noontime show "Wowowee" (of the ULTRA Stampede fame). It has been reported that senatorial candidate Miguel Zubiri acquired the rights to "Boom Tarat Tarat" to use as his campaign jingle. No less than the President, during one of her sorties, endorsed Zubiri by singing his campaign jingle which goes something like this: "Boom Tarat Tarat, Boom Tarat Tarat .... Zubiri, Zubiri .... Boom Boom Boom!" Aside from Zubiri, I am sure that a big number of congressmen, governors, mayors, etc. will be using the song as their campaign jingle, although I seriously doubt if they will be paying Lito Camo (or even pay him the courtesy of asking his permission) for using his composition.

I heard the song "Boom Tarat Tarat" for the very first time December of last year from my 3-year old son (of all people!). I was puzzled to hear him sing the bizarre, unfamiliar tune and I largely ignored him at first. But when I finally asked his yaya what song my son was singing, she told me it was "Boom Tarat Tarat" from Wowowee. I knew right there and then that "Boom Tarat Tarat" would be a hit - if my 3-year old (who still can barely speak) can catch the lyrics and sing to its tune, then "Boom Tarat Tarat" will surely appeal to most other children. And I was correct - during our office Christmas-cum-Children's Party, most of the kids knew the song and "Boom Tarat Tarat" was their favorite dancing music (apparently, the song has an accompanying dance move).

So brace yourselves for "Boom Tarat Tarat" mania this coming elections. But just a word of caution though for candidates who are thinking of using "Boom Tarat Tarat" as their campaign jingle. Just today, I heard someone sing the song with a new lyrical twist (and it really put a smile on my face). It went something like this: "Boom Tarat Tarat, Boom Tarat Tarat.... KURAKOT, KURAKOT.... Boom Boom Boom!"

No comments: